Re: yasnippet commits review

Hi Aymeric,

Aymeric Agon-Rambosson <aymeric.agon@yandex.com> writes:

> According to the function `comp-trampoline-compile', the
> EMACS_INHIBIT_AUTOMATIC_NATIVE_COMPILATION environment variable
> does not prevent trampoline compilation, only the saving of the
> output of said trampoline compilation to the file system.
>
> I just checked, EMACS_INHIBIT_AUTOMATIC_NATIVE_COMPILATION is
> already set to t anyway. Sean exported it from dh_elpa_test just
> before Christmas (65a588ca).

It would be nice to see some of the above text in the patch header
and/or Debian changelog (it's not relevant for the upstream PR as far as
I can tell)

> As of now, from what I understood of what I read in the upstream
> mailing list and the comp.el file, the only way to truly prevent
> trampoline compilation of a primitive is to add it to the variable
> `native-comp-never-optimize-functions'. I think it could also be
> possible to prevent the trampoline compilation of *any* primitive
> by setting `comp-enable-subr-trampolines' to nil.

Cool approach vs skipping the tests.  It would be nice to see a couple
of words that show you've thought about why/how this approach doesn't
hide potential bugs in real-world yasnippet usage.  I hope you believe
it's more likely that there's something weird with these three tests
than that the tests are triggering a difficult to reproduce bug in Emacs
;) Also, please forward that patch.  Go ahead and finalise the changelog
with a commit message that mentions the version
(0.14.0+git20200603.5cbdbf0d-2) as well as the distribution/suite
(unstable)--in other words, it's just about ready to sponsor.

As an aside, I seem to remember that native-comp-never-optimize-functions
is supposed to be renamed sooner or later, which is good, because at
that time Someone™ will need to refresh the patch and test that core
functionality is still working.

Regards,
Nicholas