Re: Need some help in the packaging of quilt

Hello,

----- Le 23 Mar 20, à 11:56, David Bremner david@tethera.net a écrit :

> Martin Quinson <martin.quinson@ens-rennes.fr> writes:
>
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I am one of the maintainers of the quilt package, which helps managing
>> piles of patches. This package provides a quilt.el file that I don't
>> use myself, and that is not covered by the tests. I thus tend to avoid
>> doing anything about this file to not break it.
>>
>> But according to lintian, I'm not doing the right thing here:
>> https://salsa.debian.org/debian/quilt/-/jobs/625375
>> W: quilt-el: emacsen-common-without-dh-elpa
>> P: quilt-el: executable-in-usr-lib
>> usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/install/quilt-el
>> P: quilt-el: executable-in-usr-lib
>> usr/lib/emacsen-common/packages/remove/quilt-el
>>

> There seems to be a somewhat active upstream at
> https://github.com/jstranik/emacs-quilt that is already in the format
> needed by dh-elpa. Maybe the best course of action is to have someone
> (TM) make a new source/binary package from that and then have quilt
> suggest / recommend it?
>
> If that seems reasonable to you, I guess it should be quick work with
> dh-make-elpa to package it.

Thanks for your investigation, even if I'm not sure whether you found a good news for me. Indeed, I was speaking of http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/quilt.git/log/lib/quilt.el which is included in the quilt package (that is primarily in bash), and you found a fork of the elisp code that it more actively maintained.

Now, I'm puzzled. Should I drop the quilt.el that comes with the quilt package in the hope that someone will package the version you found? My upstream could be interested in integrating a newer version of that file, if it's of better quality. But since I'm not using quilt in emacs, I'm really not the right person to discuss with Quilt's upstream about it. If someone could explain what's expected for the new format, I think that this could get integrated.

Thanks for your expertise,
Mt.