Re: Help/sponsorship needed in upstreaming multiple elpa/melpa packages to debian

Hi,

>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=893983
>>> https://salsa.debian.org/Valdaer/all-the-icons.el
>>> https://mentors.debian.net/package/all-the-icons-el
>>>

>> I do not believe this one meets our high standards, which is why I gave
>> up on the ITP.  Namely, I investigated the standards of the Font Team,
>> saw how they were generating fonts, saw this was not possible with
>> all-the-icons.el.
>
> Well, .ttf files are compiled, so the source code would need to be added
> to debian/missing-sources/ at the very least.

I didn't know about the debian/missing-sources before this, thank you Sean!

> The elisp probably needs patching to use Debian-packaged versions of the
> fonts.

Possibly.  It's been a while since I analysed the upstream repo, but the
feeling I got was that all-the-icons contains a binary fork of various
fonts, and all-the-icons upstream has either:

  1) modified the font source to make things like alignment function
  differently (eg: corrective fine tuning), or possibly some kind of
  all-the-icons specific properties--analogous to hinting.

  or

  2) injected these tweaks during the ttf compilation process.

Last I checked, information related to either of the above was missing.

If this is what actually occurs, then it seems like it might be
necessary to (pre-build) get various Debian font package sources, and
then replicate all-the-icons changes during the build.  The bundled
source, multiple tarball, or missing-source method would be used for
fonts that would not be useful outside of an all-the-icons.el context.

Oh, and all the trademarked font-icons that have been cut from the
Debian font source would also need to be cut from any font source
bundled with all-the-icons source.  IIRC that means no github, twitter,
etc font-icons.

Finally, if #1 is the case and the font source in Debian is newer than
the font source used in upstream all-the-icons, then a patch (or script)
provided by all-the-icons upstream may not apply cleanly.  Supposing it
did apply cleanly, my concern was that it would likely require
fine-tuning to display properly...a moot point if all-the-icons upstream
is willing to synchronise with font-versions-in-Debian-sid...

tldr, this is not a simple one to package ;-)

Cheers,
Nicholas