Re: Unversioned emacs packages uploaded to experimental

Agustin Martin <agmartin@debian.org> writes:

> dictionaries-common ships some .el files for Emacs and XEmacs use.
> Emacs only needs debian-ispell.el, but XEmacs also needs ispell.el and
> flyspell.el for the spellchecking integration to work.
>
> They are currently shipped in
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/, which matches the
> place .elc files will be built by unversioned Emacs.
> dictionaries-common failed when setting the symlinks, since everything
> was in the same dir and thus symlink source and target symlink was the
> same file.

Indeed, if the files are already in /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/foo,
then no symlinks would be necessary (or possible).

> I could just avoid symlink setting for unversioned Emacs, but there is
> an aditional problem with it. For byte-compiled files to be available
> I'll need to add that path to the search list, which will have as a
> side effect that ispell.el and flyspell.el will be used by Emacs
> instead of those provided by the package. No problem for XEmacs.

Certainly -- if you put files in a /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp directory
that's (supposed to be) first in the load path, then you can't put
anything in there that you don't want emacs to prefer.  That's by design
(cf. debian-pkg-add-load-path-item in policy, etc.).

So any files that shouldn't be loaded by emacs should likely be located
somewhere else, outside the load path.

Given that, your suggestion to put the files in say
/usr/share/dictionaries-common/... and then symlink whichever ones are
appropriate into the relevant emacs and xemacs flavor directories sounds
completely reasonable.

Or I suppose if emacs only needs one of the files, and xemacs needs all
of them, you could put them all in the xemacs dir, and then symlink the
one emacs needs over into /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.  I suspect either
approach will work.

Assuming I've understood the situation correctly, hope this helps.
--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org