Re: Unversioned emacs packages uploaded to experimental

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 10:55:21AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:

> > $ cp /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/{i,fly}spell.el /usr/share/emacs/25.2/site-lisp/dictionaries-common
> > $ emacs25 && enable spellchecking && eval (message "%s" ispell-version)
> > ispell.el 3.6 - 7-Jan-2003 (+ Debian `dictionaries-common' changes)
>
> I'm not sure if this is meant to demonstrate a distinct issue from what
> you say above about first match winning. In any case, I can report what
> worked to fix the emacsen-install of emacs-goodies-el: just guard the
> symlinking (rather than the whole file) with a check for the flavour
> emacs:

Hi, David, Thanks for the hint.

I was also thinking of something similar, but that will only deal with the
problems with symlinks, not with the problem of undesired files in path.

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common would contain

debian-ispell.elc debian-ispell.el ispell.el flyspell.el

which, unless I am wrong, will make Emacs prefer ispell.el and flyspell.el
there to those from /usr/share/emacs/lisp/textmodes/ (not the desired
behavior for Emacs).

That is why I think that it is better to keep different dirs for .el and
.elc files, even if we move to unversioned emacs. A dirtier hack would
be to name sources as .el0 and set symlinks, but I find that really ugly.

By the way, regarding my concerns with subdirs.el files, I have just
uploaded a dictionaries-common package setting .nosearch flags in both
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common and
/usr/share/${flavour}/site-lisp/dictionaries-common. This should work
around problems with subdirs.el.

Regards,

--
Agustin