Re: Unversioned emacs packages uploaded to experimental

> It's likely that you'll see some trouble with add-on packages during the
> install.  In my case, it was with packages that explicitly ignore the
> emacs flavor in their maintainer scripts.
>
> Please report bugs against any you notice, perhaps mentioning the key
> fact that "emacs" is now a concrete flavor, and so add-on packages
> shouldn't ignore it anymore.  If appropriate, they can guard their
> changes via "Depends: emacsen-common (>= 3.0.0)".

Hi, Rob and others,

I tried to just remove the emacs flavor exclusion in
dictionaries-common, but that led to a problem with unversioned Emacs
in experimental (#901575)

dictionaries-common ships some .el files for Emacs and XEmacs use.
Emacs only needs debian-ispell.el, but XEmacs also needs ispell.el and
flyspell.el for the spellchecking integration to work.

They are currently shipped in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/, which matches the
place .elc files will be built by unversioned Emacs.
dictionaries-common failed when setting the symlinks, since everything
was in the same dir and thus symlink source and target symlink was the
same file.

I could just avoid symlink setting for unversioned Emacs, but there is
an aditional problem with it. For byte-compiled files to be available
I'll need to add that path to the search list, which will have as a
side effect that ispell.el and flyspell.el will be used by Emacs
instead of those provided by the package. No problem for XEmacs.

I am thinking about putting the .el files under
/usr/share/dictionaries-common/emacs/site-lisp and set symlinks to the
contents I need from
/usr/share/{emacs,xemacs21}/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/. This has
an additional advantage. Some people use personal Emacs builds and
there is sometimes a subdirs.el in /usr/share//emacs/site-lisp/,
resulting in ispell.el and flyspell.el being loaded even if it was not
intended.

Note that your example `sample-package-install-foo' seems to expect
.el files under /usr/share/foo, so it would not be that different.

What do you think?

Regards,

--
Agustin