Re: pkg-emacsen does debcamp

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 04:10:25PM +0100, Sean Whitton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've created a page to plan a jointly-held meeting and sprint at
> DebCamp (or DebConf): <https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2017/Emacsen>
>
> I took the liberty of adding Rob and David to the list of participants,
> since we've already discussed meeting up in Montreal.  I hope that
> others will be able to join us.  Please help me develop the list of
> things we could work on, or need to discuss.

I live in Montréal, and--work schedule willing--I plan to go :-)

Here's a list of stuff I'm currently working on:

I. Emacs for professional writing (removing distractions, extensions
for enhancing productivity, etc)
  * Packaging stuff
  * Writing an article
  * Testing ergoemacs or a suitable alternative [1]
  * Lowering the barrier of entry for users new to emacs

II. The status of file.org documentation (link to existing discussion
in bugs)
  * Ok to install as-is?
    - If so, write lintian privacy breach module for hrefs
  * Install file.org to elpa dir when mode.el depends on file.org
  * Generate manpages, plaintext README and upstream.changelog,
    info pages, and/or html docs from file.org documentation?
    - pandoc --self-contained looks promising
    - licensing issues resulting from generating self-contained
      docs where upstream provided file.org might not have the same
      license resources downloaded to produce a --self-contained doc?

III. With the trend towards tiling WMs I wonder if an "emacs advocacy"
type article would be well received?  I haven't done work on this,
only wondering and conjecture.
  * Needs [1], evil, or something else (fulfils desire for alternative
    shortcut schemes)
  * Needs research into session management and find buffer by name
    - Similarly to how in GNOME or KDE you can search for a window
      by name.
  * Is there a way to automatically tile emacs frames?
  * Answer the question "why is it better to do this using emacs as
    the session manager?"
  * Are there any issues with emacs daemon/client?

IV. Improvements and auxiliary articles for:
    https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsForDebian ?
  * A central page on wiki.debian.org to links to a variety of quality
    resources?

--

Years ago, I didn't think that emacs was worth the effort to learn,
but then I used an amazingly streamlined configuration on a

Even a curated list of articles would have saved *so* much time.  What
would the members of pkg-emacsen like to see, speaking of
documentation?

Cheers,
Nicholas