Re: small elisp packages

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> There will surely be better examples that can't be solved by just denying
> their usability for a wider audience.

Sure, a good example is the helpfully named "s", which is a single
source file of about 20k, but depended on by many other elpa packages.

> So:
> - one debian package per elpa package?

This is my personal preference; it's also the only case currently
supported by dh-elpa (to be precise, one binary package per elpa
package). I think some moderate number of "core" packages this probably
makes sense. Hopefully ftp-masters can be convinced. In general I think
we (the Debian project) should focus on how useful a package is, not
directly on it's size. For leaf packages of marginal global interest,
I'd be inclined to let people grab them from upstream packaging; I'm not
sure there's much value added by having a Debian package (at least if/when
upstream package signing is working). It's only a few keystrokes to
install packages from elpa / marmalade / melpa-stable.

So why don't I like cluster packages (for want of a better term)? This
is all from memory, so maybe other people have good solutions for some
of these issues.

- maintainability. I'm not aware of any examples of well maintained
  cluster packages. This isn't a criticism of any particular
  maintainers; pkg-perl has probably the best record as a team
  maintaining packages, but even there the record of keeping things up
  to date is not great.

- tooling. I think part of the reason for the above is that it seems
  every cluster package is it's own special snowflake. Of course someone
  (TM) could develop tools for better managing clusters, but in the last
  few decades that hasn't happened.

- discoverability.  It's not so much harder to use search rather just
  know the name of the package, but it is a small irritation for a user
  (or upstream author). Perhaps more importantly, it substantially
  complicates writing tools like dh-make-perl that automatically
  translate elpa dependencies into debian ones.

- version conflicts.  if A version X and B version Y are packaged
  together, then then e.g. the user that needs a version of A > x can
  install their own. If they need a version < X, they are basically out
  of luck, and the larger the cluster the worse the potential impact of
  removing the cluster package in order to install a private version of
  A.

OK, this message is getting pretty long. The TL;DR is that I'm
personally not going to work on cluster packages or put a lot of work
into tooling for them. If that means some things don't get packaged in
Debian, then I can live with that.