Re: Spacemacs

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Then the question is what to do about init.el.  The file is quite short
> [3].  My ideas:
>
> 1. add the (patched) init.el to /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp and suggest
> in Readme.Debian that the user replace their ~/.emacs.d/init.el with a
> `load-file' call to the Debian spacemacs-init.el.
>
> 2. put the whole (patched) init.el in Readme.Debian and suggest the user
> put it in their home directory
>
> 3. provide a shell script spacemacs-activate which does (1) or (2),
> perhaps backing up/restoring an existing ~/.emacs.d/init.el
>
> Since I'm new to Debian packaging I'd like to get feedback on these
> alternatives before proceeding.

What about a script called spacemacs that runs something like

emacs --no-init-file --load /usr/share/emacs/.../spacemacs-init.el

If that worked, then people could switch easily between emacs and
spacemacs, which feels kindof important to me.

Again assuming it works, we could also try to upstream such a script, to
reduce the clash between debian and other systems