Re: spacemacs

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> Has anybody tried spacemacs?
> https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs
>
> Is it good? Would it make sense to try to package it?
>
> Actually it's a collection of the best emacs modes with an opinionated config,
> isn't it?

I don't have experience, but here are some things to think about.

- On the plus side: it's popular, so it would probably serve a real user base
- On the minus side

 - it's really a kind of fork of gnu emacs, so we'd have two copies of
    that scary big codebase; if it could be installed as an add-on to regular
    emacs, that would be more attractive.

 - it seems like it's not really possible for regular gnu emacs users to support it,
    so it would be a real support burden for whomever packages it.

 - I hear reports that the packaging system is somehow different than
   upstream emacs. If so, that would suck.