Re: Worg contributed packages - possible packaging/documentation bug

On 01/08/2015, Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:
> I then created the attached .emacs file. In part, this was created by
> entering, in Emacs, the following command:
>
> `M-x customize-variables RET org-modules`
>
> and then ticking the "depend" and "drill" checkboxes
>
> I performed that step because it was recommended in the installation
> instructions for org-drill here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-drill.html#unnumbered-2
>
> Those instructions made that seem like the best way to install/enable
> org-drill and org-depend .
>
> [...]
>
> That got me to think about how the installation process could be
> improved. I can think of a few possible alternatives:
>
> [...]

Another alternative:

* Patch org-mode in Debian (and upstream?) such that the checkboxes in
the list of checkboxes returned by `M-x customize-variables RET
org-modules` are "greyed out" (i.e. cannot be ticked) if the
corresponding contributed extension cannot be found on the current
Emacs load-path. Ideally, attempting to tick them should produce some
kind of notification to the user that they are greyed out for that
reason, e.g. "Cannot find org-depend.el. Please ensure that this file
is present in a directory on the Emacs load-path."