Re: RFC: relaxation of debian-emacs-policy dependency requirements

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 11:51:06AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Rob Browning writes ("RFC: relaxation of debian-emacs-policy dependency requirements"):
> > After some investigation, it looks like we might be able to change
> > policy to just require add-on packages to depend on emacsen-common,
> > which is reasonably small, ~150k, and could probably become smaller if
> > necessary.
>
> Why should a package which happens to also ship some elisp need to
> depend on any Emacs package at all ?  What will go wrong if the
> package is installed without any Emacs ?

Agreed.

lisp stuff in a package whose main use is not Emacs should be used if
an emacsen package is installed and ignored otherwise. There is nothing wrong
with that. Even if /var/lib/emacsen-common/installed-flavors was not
originally designed for that, seems a good way to know if emacsen-common is
configured, so a prerm snippet like

if [ -x /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-remove ] &&
   [ -e /var/lib/emacsen-common/installed-flavors ]; then
    /usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-remove #PACKAGE#
fi

should do the work with no extra dependencies.

--
Agustin