Re: Playing with a personal emacsen-common build

Agustin Martin <agustin.martin@hispalinux.es> writes:

> There is one thing about which I would like to get feedback, old
> flavors. I have added basic support for excluding specific flavors,
> although only put 'emacs' there. However current code will not work
> for emacs19 and emacs20. I can make it work with them (in short, is
> just adding a dolist fallback definition and making sure add-to-list
> is defined and accepting the append option, both properly renamed to
> avoid name clashes). I tested these changes in a slink qemu box, and
> seem to work, but did not yet add them to the master branch. Changes
> are not a nightmare, but do you think this backwards portability
> worths?

In general, I would say that we shouldn't do anything that's
gratuitously backward incompatible unless there's a good reason.
However, if it helps us, I don't feel like we need to go too far out
of our way for stable distributions older than N-1.

I think it's very important to make sure that upgrades from the
previous stable version work, but I'd say the importance diminishes
substantially after that.  Here, I was actually speaking about Debian
stable releases, but I think the same probably applies for emacsXY
versions as well.

Also, I'd like to drop emacs21 as soon as we can after lenny.  In
truth, it probably shouldn't be in lenny, but my attention was tied up
elsewhere during what was supposed to be the critical period.  Of
course in hindsight, given the lenny delays, that might not have
actually been the critical period...

> As previously written, Rob, feel free to borrow what you find
> convenient from it.

I'll look over your work in the next week or so (plus or minus holiday
distractions), and then post comments.  I'm certainly in favor of
fixing up emacsen-common, and I should be in a better position to
help.  Also, since these changes won't go in lenny, we should have a
reasonably free hand.

Thanks very much for the help.
--
Rob Browning