Re: Trouble with byte-compiling .el files on Emacs update

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> Probably emacs-install would need to be changed to take package
> dependencies into account, but the emacsen-common package does not
> seem to be maintained currently.

Depending on what you mean, emacs-install does take package
dependencies into account.  See generate-install-list, which calls
tsort to do the heavy lifting.

Some of this infrastructure (which is quite old a this point, but has
served us fairly well), may or may not be the best approach now.  Back
when it was created, there were no triggers.  Now, we may have other
options.  However, I'm fairly cautious when considering changes to
emacsen-common and/or debian-emacs policy since there are many moving
parts, and a lot of tricky details.  As I recall, there are quite a
lot of (possibly non-obvious) things that you can get wrong if you're
not careful.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu