Re: ITP: emacs.app -- The GNU Emacs editor on GNUstep

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:19:20 +0200, Reinhard Tartler <siretart@debian.org> said:

> Hilko Bengen <bengen@debian.org> writes:

>>> Why not revive emacs-snaphot then?
>>
>> And could we please call it emacs23-snapshot?

> How about calling the package 'emacs23'?

> The fact that it is an unreleased snapshot could be reflected in the
> version number. And at the point emacs23 gets eventually released the
> package tracks the stable branch, instead of the development branch.

        I would suggest that the people who would maintain Emacs for
 inclusion into Debian releases would do that, at some point (whether
 they elect to do so before Emacs 23 is released is up to them).

        As I understand it, the current proposal was to package up the
 development HEAD of  the Emacs tree, and I think this is a fine idea,
 even if the package is never meant to enter testing, and this is not
 meant to become the upgrade of Emacs22 or Emacs23 or whatever version
 of Emacs living in stable/testing.

        I think it is perfectly fine to always keep an emacs-snapshot
 variant along with whatever the emacsXX flavor do jour in the Elisp
 packages; this means that there is no more nor less a disruption when a
 new flavor of Emacs comes along (as a result of a new upstream major
 release).

        I must be missing the rationale why this is a bad idea.

        manoj
--
Please forgive me if, in the heat of battle, I sometimes forget which
side I'm on.