Re: Gnus Manual License

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:54:05 +0200, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:

> Further, it seems that this situation is similar to the obnoxious
> advertising clause in the old BSD license, which is still used by
> several packages that are in main, e.g., OpenSSL:

Similar, yes.  But it is not the same.

>  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
>  * software must display the following acknowledgment:

This does not place any conditions on the distribution or modification
of the work itself.  It only places conditions on auxiliary material.

>  * "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
>  * for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"

[...]

> I believe the license clause is annoying, but, as for OpenSSL, does
> not make it impossible to use the licensed material freely, and in
> particular, should not prevent including it in main.

Yes, I agree that it is annoying.  I think that RMS also thought it was
annoying, which makes me wonder why he doesn't mind invariant sections
in documentation.  I'm sure he's answered that question before, so if
someone has a pointer to where I can look that up, I'd be interested.

--
Hubert Chan - email & Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)