Re: [rant] Re: Consequences of moving Emacs Manuals to non-free

On 24 Mar 2006, David Kastrup verbalised:

> JérÎme Marant <jmarant@free.fr> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Since the principal goal for the Debian project is providing free
>>> software and they can't consider GNU software free in documented
>>> form, they probably should abandon the whole GNU/Linux project and
>>> instead try packaging something like BSD/Linux, a Linux kernel
>>> with BSD utilities all around.
>>>
>>> But the current course is pure duplicity.
>>
>> Duplicity is trying to make people believe that licensing documents
>> under the GFDL makes documentation free.
>
> Can you come up with a single _actual_ example of somebody who had
> been unable to put GFDLed software to some use which would generally
> be considered part of responsible exercising of freedom?

        You want to duke anecdotal stories around?[0]

        When you come down to wanting to listen to practical
 objections, read:
 http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml

>> Why would restricted modifications of software be suddenly
>> acceptable, while they would not with GPL?

> Well, then _stand_ by your convictions.  Remove software from the
> GNU project from Debian.

        That does not logically follow. If some non-free software
 enhances free software, there is no need to throw out the baby with
 the bath water. Err, at least, not in my world.

> Free software with unfree documentation is a sham.

        I am glad you agree. Can you see if upstream would make the
 documentation free?

> If you call the documentation unfree, then the software can't be
> used like free software, and you should remove it, too.

        Err, the _software_ sure can. I can use make, even if the
 software documentation is non-free -- so I am not seeing where you
 are coming from.

        manoj
[0] The plural of anecdote is not data.
--
brokee, n: Someone who buys stocks on the advice of a broker.