Re: [debs] Emacs + XFT

Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> If the DOC file is identical for every architecture, yes.

Of course it is, it's just an ASCII text file with some control
characters.

> You did not mention what I think will be the biggest problem: The
> handling of add-on packages in the maintainer scripts.  If you install
> multiple binaries of the same emacs flavor, you want to byte-compile
> the Elisp files only once.  And if you remove one, but not all of the
> binaries of a flavor, you must not purge the byte-compiled files in
> the prerm script.  I do not think that emacsen-common can currently
> handle these situations. :-(

I did consider this issue and the solution is trivial: the first
"subflavor" package to be installed calls `emacs-install', and the last
package to be removed calls `emacs-remove'... it's a simple matter of
keeping a list of installed subflavors.

The only trick is to ensure that the installed subflavors are all from
the same source package, with versioned conflicts between each subflavor
package.

But now that I think more about the whole thing, there is another
problem: if /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot becomes an alternative, it'll be set
up from the first subflavor's postinst, and there's a good chance that
it would be too late if an Elisp package's postinst runs before the
subflavor's (it would try to run `emacs-snapshot' and that wouldn't
exist yet).  Hmmm...  Perhaps I should set up this alternative in
preinst instead...

--
  ,''`.
 : :' :        Romain Francoise <rfrancoise@debian.org>