emacs-snapshot: 1 year

On August 5th 2005 I uploaded the first version of emacs-snapshot to
unstable.  One year and 55 uploads later, we're nearing the 400
installations mark[1] in popcon, with the following subflavour
repartition:

  GTK: 55.1%
  X11: 32.7%
  NoX: 18.6%

(Quite a few installations have more than one subflavour installed,
which explains why the total is higher than 100%.)

Over the past 12 months, a total of 60 bugs have been filed against
emacs-snapshot, 56 of which have been closed (35 by new uploads).
I've assembled a timeline to highlight interesting changes in
emacs-snapshot or Emacs during that time:

  Aug 05: Initial emacs-snapshot upload
  Aug 25: Versioning scheme changed due to a bug in quinn-diff
  Sep 08: emacs-snapshot-el ships with compressed .el files[2][3]
  Sep 18: New newsticker.el package; fsync() option; linda overrides
  Oct 20: rcirc is included, first IRC client in Emacs; also new savehist.el
  Nov 03: .el files are compressed upstream
  Nov 11: Font-Lock enabled by default
  Nov 17: New Emacs icon; file-name-shadow-mode enabled by default
  Dec 15: SPC no longer completes in the minibuffer
  Jan 09: IPv6 support
  Jan 28: Subflavours: GTK and X11 versions can be installed concurrently[4]
  Feb 02: ERC is part of Emacs
  Mar 01: New package t-mouse.el
  May 19: sarge backport announced
  May 24: New ALSA sound interface
  Jun 23: emacs-snapshot honors `x-www-browser'

With luck, next year's timeline will include the release of Emacs 22.1.
Until then I'll keep on uploading snapshots every week to keep you all
hooked...

Cheers,

--
  ,''`.