extview and the c++ mode

Hi

I have a problem opening a .cpp file with emacs
using debian testing and emacs21 21.4a-3
it does not open it. I need emcs to open it with its c++ mode and the
extra info I provide in .emacs

ctl-xf which does find/create a file then I type test.cpp then I get
this in the echo area
File is opened with an external viewer. See buffer *extview log* for
status messages.

in *extview log* I have
Opening file ~/test.cpp with handler: more '%s'
/home/fred/test.cpp: No such file or directory

Process extview-process finished

it words if I restart emacs after I comment out this line in my .emcas
 (require 'extview)

but I need this so that I can do
(push '("\\.pdf$" . "xpdf %s") extview-application-associations)
(push '("\\.py$" . nil) extview-application-associations)

thanks

Do you Yahoo!?