Re: Emacs cvs installation under Debian

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> I managed to install Emacs cvs in my Sarge 3.1, but it comes without
> >> graphical face. I also installed the packages: zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz,
> >> libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz, tiff-3.7.1.tar.gz, libungif-4.1.3.tar.gz and
> >> libjpeg-6b.tar.gz,  but when I run './configure' I get the following
> >> output:
> >>
> >>   What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
> >>   Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
> >>       (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
> >>   Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
> >>   Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
> >>   What window system should Emacs use?                    none
> >>   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
> >>   Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
> >>   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
> >>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
> >>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
> >>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
> >>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
> >>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
> >>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
> >>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
> >>
> >> . Please any help to get a complete Emacs cvs installation?
> >> I'm newbie with Debian.
>

> Karl Hammar writes:
>
> > Try:
> >
> >  # apt-get build-dep emacs21
> >

> Thanks, I did and got the following output:
>
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
>
> , which I don't understand: what shall I do now?
> Excuse my unexperience.
> Thanks,
> Rodolfo

Check the man pages:

 $ man apt-get

though, it is not really helpful in this case, look in:

 $ man sources.list
 $ cat /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/sources.list

which boils down to, if you have a line like:

 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

then make a similar line like:

 deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

To learn more about apt, try:

 # apt-get install apt-dpkg-ref
 $ gv /usr/share/doc/apt-dpkg-ref/apt-dpkg-ref.ps.gz

 # apt-get install apt-howto
 $ gv /usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/apt-howto.en.ps.gz
(substitute 'en' for your language)

 $ apt-cache show apt-show-source apt-src

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl@aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 2340                                                Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting