Re: emacs-snapshot problems [fixed]

Le 31 oct 2004, Jérôme Marant a formulé :

> > - on-line  documentation is  partially broken  : sometimes  it  fails to
> >   access /usr/share/emacs/21.3.50/etc/DOC-21.3.50.7 (looks very like Kai
> >   had  and  following  what  was  said  on  the  list  i  did  the  make
> >   maintainer-clean)
>
> It is  strange. The  ".7" extension  means that emacs  has been  many more
> times than what does the package.
>
> Basically, I use make bootstrap  and I shall get DOC-21.3.50.1 only. Then,
> when I  need to build  a with another  toolkit (like GTK),  make distclean
> removes any DOC* file.

While  checking the  emacs-version,  i  found that  it  was emacs  21.3.50.7
(corresponding to the faultly doc string) but with a 2 months old compile
date... Quite not the fresh version i though i had compiled.

BTW  : how can i  get that  .7  subversion ?  I have  checked that  Makefile
provides a 21.3.50 version string...

Le 31 oct 2004, Kai Grossjohann s'est exprimé ainsi :

> It seems that these days, running the emacs-snapshot package goes
> quite smoothly.
>
> I used to have the flavor troubles alluded to in the URL you cite, but
> that has gone now.  Now, packages seem to test for flavor != emacs
> instead of flavor = emacs21.  So packages get installed for
> emacs-snapshot, too.
>
> I specifically do NOT need to explicitly set the flavor.
>
> One thing to make sure about is that you are actually running the
> emacs-snapshot package, and not a self-compiled Emacs installed
> elsewhere.  Test with "which emacs".

Well,  listening  that  i *should  not*  get  what  i  get, seeing  a  weird
version/compilation date and that maybe  i was using a wrong executable made
me replay the whole installation process.
I apt-get  removed both emacs-snapshot packages, made  a fresh cvs-checkout,
recompiled the packages and reinstalled all.

It seems that my emacs is now "GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
Version 2.4.13) of 2004-11-01 on obelix.seki.fr, modified by Debian."

I have also remarked that tramp seems to work now (no more fail, no more doc
problem) so does ecb. Things are far better now.
So, i must admit that i must have used a wrong version for a while :(

Many thanks all for your feedback.

Sébastien Kirche