Re: Newbie: Help with elisp, please

On April 29, 2004 02:53 am, Florent Rougon scribed:
FR> Also, you should use those define-key calls in the appropriate
 hook to be sure that the map is already defined. For instance:

FR>   (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook
FR>             #'(lambda ()
FR>                 (define-key LaTeX-mode-map [C-f5] 'do-LaTeX)))
FR>
FR> or, better:
FR>
FR>   (defun brad-setup-LaTeX-keybindings ()
FR>     (interactive)
FR>     (define-key LaTeX-mode-map [C-f5] 'do-LaTeX)
FR>     (define-key LaTeX-mode-map ...))
FR>
FR>   (add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'brad-setup-LaTeX-keybindings)

Okay... what you've given me should help a lot.  One thing I don't
really understand, though, is hooks.  How do I know that, when I use
(add-hook ....) that it will run once I enter LaTeX-mode?  The GNU
Emacs Manual and the Emacs Lisp Reference Guide don't really explain
this in any detail.  Oh yeah... and in the above code snippet, you
have the function (?) do-LaTeX.  Do I define these functions before I
define the function brad-setup-LaTeX-keybindings?  I'm thinking yes.

Finally, do I have to put all this in my .emacs file, or can I put it
in a .el file in some other directory as long as that dir is in my
load-path?

Thanks :O)

--
|Brad Camroux              | === http://www.debian.org === |