gnuserv should not listen to the internet

Hello.

This bug
is now 1 year and 207 days old.

xemacs21-bin from debian unstable is still listening to the world.

Am I the only one with a dislike for that?

- because of security. gnuserv already had security holes in the past.

- because it can get in the way - for example if you are using chroot's or something like vserver, you might want to run multiple instances of gnuserv as the same user, thus the same port, => failure is programmed.

It's easy to just switch off listening on inet at all - this is what I have done to some of my installations. (But I have no notion doing this forever and everywhere). I could provide you a patch for this.

So the question to the community is: does anyone actually *use* gnuserv over the net?

If yes, then there should be a runtime option for switching inet on or off (or: *, localhost, off - or even an address). (Who will do this patch? Might be I jump in some time.)

Question two then arises: which should be the default for the listening, on or off (or localhost)? I would really suggest off.

Thanks for any responses
Cheers
Christian.