Re: large packages: install but not load

On September 15, 2003 at 5:50AM +0800,
Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

> I probably use the mule-ucs package once a year, but to have it
> installed means that it gets loaded every time I start emacs.
>
> Perhaps dpkg-reconfigure mule-ucs [and other hefty packages] could ask
> if one wants to have the package on one's system, but not loaded.

Debconf interface cannot help non-admin users.  The current
answer is `/usr/bin/env DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE=off emacs'.  See also
`/usr/share/doc/mule-ucs/README.Debian'.

On September 14, 2003 at 9:05PM -0400,
Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> wrote:

> Personally, I _don't_ use debconf to configure elisp packages, biut
> rather use the Emacs customize interface, which seems better suited to
> the task.

Mule-UCS enhances Emacsen internally, and has a sensitive issue.
If some configuration (e.g. bitmap) was already loaded, un-define
could fail.  So, I decided to load Mule-UCS's un-define early in
emacsen startup by default.

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita, Debian mule-ucs maintainer