viewing x-faces on the console

I seem to recall being able to view x-faces on the console a few
months back.  To be sure the x-face appears on its own buffer,
rather than in-line.

Now I can only see them when running emacs under X (although I
can save the x-face with the command x-face-save and view the
resultant file with say fbi).  Aside from my MUA, wanderlust, I
have the following packages installed: x-face-el, select-xface
and bitmap-mule.

As part of my wanderlust (.wl) configuration I have:

;; Substituted when using bitmap-mule instead of x-face-el
;; (autoload 'x-face-decode-message-header "x-face-mule")
(autoload 'x-face-decode-message-header "x-face-e21")
(setq wl-highlight-x-face-function 'x-face-decode-message-header)

Does anybody know what am I missing?