Re: News from the emacs-snapshot packaging

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 20:28:52 +0100, Jérôme Marant <jmarant@nerim.net> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
>> Umm, why would they be incompatible? When there is an emacs22, it
>> shall have a flavour of emacs22, and the gnus install shall, if the
>> compilation succeeded, create an init file in the appropriate
>> place.

> I don't think so unless gnus is emacs22-specific.  It works pretty
> well with other packages, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't
> work with gnus.

	I, on the other hand, sit at the other end of the bug reports;
 I and I have no idea if Gnus would work with emacs22 yet, and what it
 would take to give users a well integrated news reader on emacs22.
 However, if they have emacs21 and emacs22 installed, I _am_ willing
 to stand behind using it with emacs21.

>>> think it is not the right thing, unlike nxml-mode which is really
>>> emacs21-specific.
>>
>> Well, I beg to differ.  This prevents, say, from a package which
>> only compiles for version 20, for example, from creating a load
>> time config for emacs21, thoguh the byte compiled package is not
>> available.

> Why can't the flavour and its version be detected from the
> /etc/emacs/site-start.d file, and things loaded (or not)
> accordingly?

	Why add this burden on every startup for every flavour? What
 purpose does it serve? The way it stands, Gnus works perfectly on all
 supported flavours of emacs, and does not impact any other emacsen.

	manoj

--
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain