Re: News from the emacs-snapshot packaging

Peter S Galbraith <p.galbraith@globetrotter.net> writes:

>> Most of emacs modes detect emacs21 or xemacs21, so I doubt
>> any mode will work with the emacs-snapshot flavour
>> (emacs-snapshot provides emacs21 though).
>
> I'm not sure about _most_ modes.  I'm running CVS Emacs now with the
> Debian startup.  I did notice that my packages loaded correctly but
> some like gnus didn't.  I guess thoese that use /etc/emacs/site-start.d
> mostly work and those that split off into e.g. /etc/emacs21/site-start.d/
> don't.

[...]

> Since using e.g. /etc/emacs21/ instead of /etc/emacs/ makes these
> packages incompatible with future versions of Emacs, they should really
> only be used when the setup is very different between Emacs flavours.
> Even then, is there a good reason for using them instead of using
> conditionals under /etc/emacs/ ?

On my system, the only modes that load from /etc/emacs21 are
gnus, psgml (Manoj's packages :-) and nxml-mode.

AFAIK, the reason why psgml is loaded from /etc/emacs21
is because this mode is shipped in XEmacs packages and
it must not override the XEmacs package (or maybe the Xemacs
version is a modified one). I think it is not the
right thing, unlike nxml-mode which is really emacs21-specific.

However, I don't know why gnus doesn't use /etc/emacs since
the gnus-init startup files in /etc/xemacs21 and /etc/emacs21 are
the same files.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org