Re: FYI: GNU Emacs Manual to be moved to non-free

(I am not subscribed. Please CC: me on replies.)

Hi D.G.,

You wrote:
> If you *have* to do this, until the situation is resolved with
> FSF, can they atleast be put in a different section, say
> "nonfree-but-gnu" (or abbreviated as "gnu"), so we can put that
> section in our sources.list and still not have to put "nonfree"
> in our sources.list?

I have a similar idea:

1) Instead of putting the packages into "nonfree-but-gnu" only,
   you could put them into both, "nonfree-but-gnu" *and*
   "non-free". This would avoid a decision not to put them into
   "non-free". (You could even maintain the new section
   completely independently of Debian).

2) Instaed of creating a "nonfree-but-gnu" section, you could
   create a "nonfree-but-redistributable" section for anything
   that is not fully modifyable but otherwise free. This would
   also cover RFCs etc.

3) It would be great if apt-cache search would report the
   classification of a package big and red, just like
   packages.debian.org (I don't know though it can do that
   already, though).

(Please note that this idea has no big importance to me,
personally. If I need a non-free package, I can download it
manually, or put "non-free" into my sources.list. With this
idea, I am mainly trying to adress those people who would
otherwise demand a change in the DFSG or in the social contract,
and I don't want these rules to be changed.)

cu,
Thomas
 }:o{#
--
http://www.bildungsbande.de/~sloyment/
"Look! They have different music on the dance floor..."