Re: FYI: GNU Emacs Manual to be moved to non-free

On 14 May 2003 07:08:06 -0400, Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@glug.org> said:

> Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> writes:
>      (if Debian decides to apply DFSG to documentation).

> that is the crux of the problem.  guess i'll stick w/ debian for
> most things, but /usr/local installation for emacs -- this has
> worked well for awhile now.  i feel there is no point arguing the
> applicability of DFSG to documentation (IMHO it is not applicable);

	I beg to differ. The DFSG, in my opinion, applies to anything
 that Debian ships -- it is encoded, ultimately, in 0's and 1's, and
 thus is software, as opposed to hardware or wetware.

	Not being able to remove the invariant sections when I am
 trying to extract a subset of the document for use in other places
 (like I can with subsets of the code) seems to limit my freedom;
 Please look at the archives of debian-legal for the various valid
 points that have been made by people in debian.

> if people want to avoid the tricky problem of harmonizing licenses
> and instead go for the simpler reject-all-that-is-not-ours immune
> system repsonse, that's their business.

	No. We have done an evaluation of the GDFL, and it was found
 wanting. You are belittling the stance taken by Debian; we have a
 track record of not shrinking from doing the right thing. Marking the
 GDFL as non-free may well be the right thing as far as our opinion
 goes, if that is road we do go down on.

> the root of ethical behavior does not lie in the prevailing legal
> environment, nor in the actions of others.

	Funny. Seems to me that demanding libré documentation keeps to
 the spirit of freedom of software; rather than insisting parts of
 software be immutable and unremovable.

	Please join -legal if you think you have valid arguments on
 this issue; sniping at debian on unrelated mailing lists is not helpful.

	manoj
--
Household hint: If you are out of cream for your coffee, mayonnaise
makes a dandy substitute.