Re: Munging of del and backspace

Miles Bader writes:

 > The reason you are confused is because you (apparently) think that `DEL' and
 > `Delete' are the same thing; they are not.  `DEL' is the ASCII DEL character,
 > which since time immemorial has meant delete-backward-char in emacs.
 > `Delete' is a labelled key on (some) keyboards, which usually means
 > delete-char.

Uh, I should have mentioned I run under X.

 > So you can think of `DEL' as the emacs abstraction for whatever key happens
 > to delete the previous character on your keyboard, be it labelled BS, <--, or

For tty emacs, I would understand, but with X, it must be possible to
distinguish C-d and Delete, just as the <-- key does not bring up the
help, and tab is different from ^I etc.

 > Rubout.  Because emacs maintains this abstraction, your emacs keybindings
 > should work on any device.

I.e. you can never make any use of more than basic tty capabilities?

And it's annoying that key bindings in emacs and xemacs have different
results.

/Micce

--
Mikael Hedin, MSc +46 (0)8 344979 (home) +46 (0)70 5891533 (mobile)
[gpg key fingerprint = 387F A8DB DC2A 50E3 FE26  30C4 5793 29D3 C01B 2A22]

Vad skall du med bil och villa
När du mår så jävla illa
     Peps Persson '75

nuclear DES Delta Force Mossad clones Soviet SDI Project Monarch Vince
Foster NWO BATF Ruby Ridge KGB colonel Kenneth Starr