Re: emacs19 supported? what about emacs18?

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 04:26:49PM -0300, Eduardo Nahum Ochs wrote:

> Well, I would love to see emacs19 back in Debian, and to finally have an
> emacs18 to play with...

We seem to have the following:

 ~ $ grep-available -Fprovides -spackage emacsen
package: xemacs21-gnome-mule-canna-wnn
package: xemacs21-gnome-mule
package: xemacs21-gnome-nomule
package: xemacs21-mule
package: emacs20
package: emacs21
package: emacs20-dl
package: xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn
package: xemacs21-nomule

That isn't enough flavors!?!

> I have to control myself to not jump on the throats of people when I
> see [an emacs-like editor that doesn't use elisp]

Your personal prejudices aside, all of the above use elisp.  We use
the virtual package name "emacsen" to identify programs which can run
elisp-based add-ons such as calc or zen-irc or the various language
modes.

> and it's easier to fully grasp what's going on when we are on older
> Emacsen...

How so?  Personally, I think that font-lock mode at the console alone
is enough reason to justify switching to emacs21.  But you're not
forced to use any of the new features in 20/21 if you don't want to.

--
Chris Waters           |  Pneumonoultra-        osis is too long
xtifr@debian.org       |  microscopicsilico-    to fit into a single