Re: Mule-UCS takes so long to load in emacs21.2

At 07 Apr 2002 20:48:44 +0200,
Yongtao Yang <yangyongtao@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using debian woody, yestirday I made a dist-upgrade, which
> upgrade my emacs from 21.1 to 21.2, after that I found that it
> took me several minutes to load mule-ucs, has anybody experienced
> the simmlar problem?

I had the same problem on Emacs 21.2.  A cause of this problem is
that Emacs 21.2's register-char-codings is very slow.

  emacs21.2 with Mule-UCS (Japanese)
  http://tsukuba.m17n.org/mule-ja-archive/2002-3/threads.html#00015

  patch to mitigate slow Mule-UCS loading in Emacs 21.2
  http://tsukuba.m17n.org/mule-archive/2002-3/threads.html#00000

Debian's mule-ucs_0.84-10 applied the above patch that is tuned
for speedup.  (But it doesn't work on Emacs 20.  See also
http://bugs.debian.org/140645)

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita