Re: XEmacs does not die gracefully

>>>>> On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:44:57 -0600, Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> said:

 Shyamal> Hi all,

 Shyamal> I have noticed that XEmacs 21 does not seem to die
 Shyamal> gracefully anymore. In particular, when I exit GNOME the
 Shyamal> running XEmacs goes into an infinite loop.

 Shyamal> Sending a SIGTERM to an xemacs instance started from a
 Shyamal> terminal results in:

 Shyamal> shyamal@madcow:~$ xemacs -q &
 Shyamal> [1] 13356
 Shyamal> shyamal@madcow:~$ kill %1 shyamal@madcow:~$ Lisp backtrace
 Shyamal> follows:

 Shyamal>   next-command-event() byte-code("..." [unread-command-event
 Shyamal>   circ-tmout tmout startup-message-timeout add-timeout
 Shyamal>   #<compiled-function (ignore) "...(5)" [nil ... ...] 3> nil
 Shyamal>   display-splash-frame sit-for 0 next-command-event] 4)
 Shyamal>   # (catch tmout ...)  (unwind-protect ...)  bind (tmout
 Shyamal>   # circ-tmout)
 Shyamal>   command-line-1()
 Shyamal>   # bind (command-line-args-left)
 Shyamal>   command-line()
 Shyamal>   # (unwind-protect ...)
 Shyamal>   normal-top-level()
 Shyamal>   # (condition-case ... . error) (catch top-level ...)

 Shyamal> [1]+ Terminated xemacs -q shyamal@madcow:~$

 Shyamal> If actually touch the keyboard in XEmacs so the splash
 Shyamal> screen is gone, the backtrace is then:

 Shyamal> Lisp backtrace follows:

 Shyamal>   # (condition-case ... . error) (catch top-level ...)

 Shyamal> [1]+ Terminated xemacs shyamal@madcow:~$

 Shyamal> Any ideas? This is xemacs-21.4.6-7 on a Woody system.

This is an intermittent problem that has existed for as long as I've
been using XEmacs.  There was some discussion on the xemacs devel
list, but iirc no good solution.

I apologize for the troubles.  Generally if you shut down X using the
logout in gnome the problem shouldn't occur (though it still can).
Also I've gotten in the habit of exiting xemacs before exiting X.

Jim (XEmacs packager)

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!