Re: It's Huntin' Season

On 4 Feb 2002, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> writes:
>
> > > Should we change the Debian Emacs policy to allow me to put them
> > > somewhere else?
> >
> > Emacs policy is wrong in this sense then.  Emacs policy does not replace
> > Debian Policy, it enhances it.  And Debian  Policy is very clear about files
> > in /etc.
>
> I think the situation is: Emacs policy is inadvertently wrong.  Emacs
> policy should be fixed.  Maintainers who are conforming to Emacs
> policy should not be blamed for following the rules that they thought
> they should follow.  Once the emacs policy is fixed, the packages that
> use it should then be fixed.

No, they should be blamed.  Debian Policy is very blunt in this manner.  Files
in /etc are configuration files.  Files in /etc shipped in debs are conffiles,
and must not be modified by scripts.

Configuration files(of which conffiles are a subset) must maintain user edits.

It's really very plain.

You can't ignore one policy in favor of another.  Emacs Policy extends Debian
Policy, it doesn't subplant it.