How to diagnose emacs21 segfault?

Hello,

I have been using Emacs and ESS (Emacs speaks statistics) along with
R, S+, and SAS for several years.  Yesterday, twice in a row, I had
Emacs disappear from my screen and a segfault message in the xterm!
At both times, I was using R (version 1.5.1) and ESS (version
5.1.20-2).  My emacs version is 21.2-1 installed from the debs in
testing.  R and ESS are installed from deb from the r-project.

My guess is that the culprit is somehow R because it was upgraded
earlier that day, but it is running as a sub-process.  Shouldn't the
subprocess just die without killing all of emacs?  Also, I have been
running R and ESS under emacs20 for several hours since and it hasn't
dumped.  This indicates it may be an interaction between emacs21, R,
and ESS, right?

In any event, can anyone here point me in the direction of how I try
to track this down?  I am not a C programmer, but I can run
debug-on-entry.  However, I assume debug-on-entry is a little less
than what I need.  Any suggestions on where to start or things to read
to learn how to approach this problem will be appreciated.  Thanks for
any thoughts and for your time.

Brian Flaherty