Re: setting the default coding system

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 03:08:33PM +0200, Huba Zsolt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I set the default coding system? I can set it manually for a
> buffer at Edit/Mule/Set Coding System of Buffer File, but I would like
> to set the coding system globally to latin2.

If you use Emacs 21, have a look at the info documentation 'Coding
Systems', 'Recognize Coding' and 'Specify Coding' in the Emacs
section.

It should be something like :

(modify-coding-system-alist 'file "\\.txt\\'" 'latin-2)

for text files.

If you don't use Emacs21, I can't remember how it could be done in
Emacs 20 and Emacs 19.

Fred