Re: debian installs with years old emacs as default

On May 30, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> The following message is a courtesy copy of an article
> that has been posted to gnu.emacs.bug as well.
>
> >> I got debian woody and emacs is 20.7.  I thought debian was supposed
> >> to real advanced or something, but why old emacs?
>
> Chris> Um... install the emacs21 package instead of emacs20.  Problem solved.
>
> 1. The user pops in the debian install CD's, answers the questions
>    e.g., in tasksel, and ends up with years old emacs.  Is this the
>    case with all the other packages on debian, or just emacs?
>
> 2. I mean we read that even "RMS uses debian on his laptop" or
>    something, so we would think that popping in those debian CD's
>    would get us "in with the in club" in a hurry, and not some kind of
>    historical state.  I mean what's the point of a "linux
>    distribution" if one must need extra sensory perception to get any
>    reasonably recent versions of software.  Yes, we are not as
>    preceptive as you might think, we just answer what it says on
>    install screens.
>
> 3. Therefore, make the default emacs to be installed for a new debian
>    user the new one not the old one.

Ok... file a bug against ftp.debian.org indicating that the
unix-server task is incorrect, if it hasn't been filed already.  It
won't be fixed for woody, mind you (maybe in 3.0r1).

But the point still stands, emacs21 is included, as is emacs20.  If
you want emacs21, you can install it.

As for *why* it's wrong, I don't have a clue, since I'm not responsible
for Emacs or the task system.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <cnlawren@olemiss.edu> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/

Instructor and Ph.D. Candidate, Political Science, Univ. of Mississippi
208 Deupree Hall - 662-915-5765