Re: How do you change the cursor?

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:48:25 +0100, Anders Jackson wrote:

>Glyn  Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:
>
>> Gary Turner <kk5st@swbell.net> writes:
>>
>> > emacs 19, 20, & 21 on my woody boxes all have blinking cursors, which I
>> > find annoying.  Oddly enough, emacs 20.7 on my winbox does not blink.
>> > So, the questions are how do I change the default behavior, what is the
>> > command line toggle, and what are the appropriate lines to add to .emacs
>> > to override the default?
>> >

>> Thi is on Xemacs so may not be relevant but.....
>>
>> C-h a gives, amongst other things,
I was looking for this in my win32 v 20.7, where the function does not
exist %-{

>> blink-cursor-mode

OK, found on the linbox v21

>> setting this nil should stop it fluttering at you, but there is a warning
>> that it "should not" need altering !

No warning here.

>You should prob. execute it with M-x blink-cursor-mode instead.
Tried M-x blink-cursor-mode  -- got no error msg, also got no change.  I
couldn't get it to take an arg, i.e. -1 (non-positive nr).

I went to .emacs and added:

(blink-cursor-mode)  <-- to see if would toggle
(blink-cursor-mode -1)
(blink-cursor-mode nil)
(setq blink-cursor-mode -1)
(setq blink-cursor-mode nil)

None of these worked.  No error msgs. (Yep, I remembered to save, exit
emacs, and restart each time.)

I'm not an emacs/elisp programmer so probably not doing this right.
Corrections?

>It works on Emacs 21.1
But not for me 8~/
--
gt
Yes I fear I am living beyond my mental means--Nash