XEmacs 21.4.6 ILISP completer.el problem

Hi,

I found that the completion code in the ILISP completer.el will error
out some times.  Based on looking at the elisp stack trace, it seems
to be because completer.el is unable to read my / directory. My root
directory looks like (I guess this is a Debian thing, because I really
don't remember doing this, but it seems a good idea):

drwxr-x--x   20 root     root         4096 May  4  2001 /

This is real pain, because once I start ILISP up I can't use
completion reliably anymore. For example, I can recreate the problem
by trying to complete a filename in the installed ILSIP XEmacs package
directory with both .el and .elc files present leading 'il' in name.

Setting completer-complete-filenames to nil fixes the problem! It took
some searching to figure this out. By default it's value is t.

My questions are:

- Is this happening to only me?
- Is the default variable value a bad one for Debian systems?
- Should completer.el be fixed downstream to tolerate unreadable dirs?

Cheers!
Shyamal

PS:
I use a Woody system with
ii  xemacs21       21.4.6-6       Editor and kitchen sink