Re: XEmacs/GTK 21.1.11

    Joachim> Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv@st.jyu.fi> writes:
    >> I fear, that it will take so much time, that we must have separately
    >> packaged XEmacs/Gtk meanwhile. And I fear, that latest upstream sources
    >> of XEmacs will ship with too old version of XEmacs/Gtk. Just check out,
    >> how old version of Gnus and Auctex ships with latest XEmacs, if you
    >> don't believe me.

    Joachim> The strategy of the emacs{19|20} Debian packages, which have much more
    Joachim> separate lisp packages, though born of need, results in much fresher
    Joachim> modules and quicker update cycles, which would be nice to have for
    Joachim> XEmacs too (never mind my english, I hope you understand what I mean).

    Joachim> Maybe all those Debian packages like psgml, auctex, gnus etc. should
    Joachim> be made for XEmacs too.

 I began work on this, but do not have time to finish it.  I must work
 on college instead.

 I have code in my CVS repository for packaging XEmacs 21.2, the
 current development version.  I've not finished it; It's only
 partially complete and doesn't completely work yet.  It may be
 suffering some bit rot as well; it's been a year since I did anything
 with it.

 Because of school, I will likely not have time for it until next
 summer.  If anyone out there would like to try and take over where I
 left off, let me know, and I'll set you up with my repository.

 You MUST work with the XEmacs beta team to do it right.  The debian/*
 stuff ought to be right in the repository.  The `rules' there ought
 to be set up so that Red Hat and whoever else can use them also.
 (That is why I made it modular like it is...)

 Since the XEmacs Lisp stuff is all separated out now into packages
 (in their xemacs-packages CVS repository), it should be shipped as
 debian packages also.  There's a lot of work to do there.  XEmacs has
 its own package system setup, and so there are files with package
 data in the repository.  Those should be augmented with description
 and long description, etc., to facilitate their use in
 auto-generating debian/control snippets, etc.

 There is an offlist discussion that I was CC'd on about creating a
 package setup for Emacs/XEmacs lisp...  I suggested they start a
 mailing list for it.  I've not heard anything more.