Re: problem with emacs configuration scripts

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 03:09:45PM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> To summarize:
>
> 1) Require that emacs init scripts which happen to be conffiles behave
>    nicely upon package removal, as already required for init.d scripts
>    by 3.3.2 of the policy manual.

This is what I will do right for all my packages having add-on elisp
support.  It seems obvious that startup elisp code must behave nicely under
package removal.

> 2) Have the Debian emacs loader frob establish a catch around its
>    invocations of load, to make (1) easier or other package
>    maintainers.

The decision to implement that is up to the Debian Emacsen Policy
maintainers.  The change that you are proposing must be done in the file
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup.el (from the emacsen-common
package), more specifically in the function debian-run-directories, just
before loading each file in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/.  This change is
harmless for the packages with add-on elisp code.

> If the emacs people are all happy with it, I could write up a suitable
> paragraph for a formal policy amendment.  Perhaps that's not necessary
> and it just needs to get added to to debian-emacs-policy.  It would go
> in section 6C of that file.  Again, I'm happy to write exact language
> if that would be useful.

Please, write a proposal (or better: send us a patch to the file
/usr/doc/emacsen-common/debian-emacs-policy).  Also, if possible, provide a
patch for debian-startup.el.  The "show me the code" approach is the better
way to make faster progress.

--
Rafale Laboissiere