Re: ~/.xemacs/ or ~/xemacs/? (Was: Re: [XEmacs] New Maintainer, soonish.)

 Karl>  [ Bcc: xemacs-beta mailing list ]

 Karl>  Let's move this thread over to `debian-emacsen' please.

 Michael> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>] On Fri, Jun
 Michael> 25, 1999 at 06:47:45PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
 >>> - I changed the startups so that the init file is no longer
 >>> called "~/.emacs", it's in "~/.xemacs/init.el".  The options
 >>> saved by the Options menus won't go into "~/.emacs" either,
 >>> they'll go into "~/.xemacs/.options.el".  It will create the
 >>> "~/.xemacs/" directory

 Karl>  I'm doing this so it will be possible to install both GNU
 Karl>  Emacs and XEmacs on the same machine, without user config file
 Karl>  clash hassles.  This way, nobody has to write conditionals
 Karl>  into ~/.emacs to make it work with both XEmacs and GNU Emacs.

 Michael> If it's in a "hidden" directory, is there a point in hiding
 Michael> the file?  (ISTMT ~/.xemacs/options.el would be more
 Michael> noticable.)

 Karl>  Should it be "~/.xemacs/", or "~/xemacs/"?  What's the
 Karl>  consensus?

.xemacs (I prefer my home directory to be fairly clean and become
annoyed at programs that decide they can put a visible directory/file
there).

I agree though that .xemacs/options.el make more sense than
.xemacs/.options.el (no reason to hide a file already in a hidden
directory).

Dres

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@ioa.com>         |  Blessed Be!