Re: emacsen-common: re-compilation of depends packages is not needed.

Takuo KITAME <kitame@northeye.org> writes:

>  I think, this problem is very important so that elisp compilations
> need many system resources. Hard for poor machines.
>
> Any comments?

In theory, I completely agree, and in fact, fixing this has been on my
to-do list for way to long.  I have an approach that will have a
minimal impact on add-on package maintainers while preventing nearly
all the spurious recompiles.  However, it'll take time to implement,
and right now I'm busy with emacs 20.4 among other things.  I am,
however getting more done at a time these days so I may actually get
to it soon.

I've posted a couple of really long proposals about my solution to the
problem to debian-devel in the past year or so, but got very little
feedback.  I presume, given our project's contentious nature, that
that's a good sign :>

In any case, when I ressurect this project, I'll post a summary of my
plans here so we can debate them.

Thanks