RE: UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this in ESP - help please.

(used alternative mail editor)

Hi Steve

Thank you for the follow up advisory

The grab below shows the output of

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-efi-amd64

: grub-efi-amd64 grub2/force_efi_extra_removable boolean true

Installing for x86_64-efi platform. Installation finished. No error reported.
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-19-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-19-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-18-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ... done Processing triggers for shim-signed:amd64 (1.38+15.4-7) ...

Questions

1) There was a second question in the dialogue relating to NVRAM - unsure of response I pressed No.
Would that be the cause of the message "Warning: os-prober ..."

2) /boot now has a new drop of the related grub-efi-amd64 files - but this is not "removable media path"

Is it a simple case of copying the contents of /boot/grub to the usb pen drive that was used to kick start the main install?

(would this over write the removable media /boot/grub?

Thanks

Derrin

------ Original Message ------ Received: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 03:09:28 PM GMT From: Steve McIntyre To: Derrin Morton Cc: debian-efi@lists.debian.org Subject: Re: UEFI searching for bootx64.efi - but debian has not created this in ESP - help please. [ Re-added a CCX to the debian-efi list. ] Hi Derrin! On Mon, Nov 21, 2022 at 07:06:32AM -0000, Derrin Morton wrote: > >Hello Steve > >Once getting my head around the Advanced Options -> Rescue mode -> Launch >terminal using /dev/sda2 and mount /dev/sda1 it was possible cp /boot/efi/EFI/ >debian/grub64x.efi cp /boot/efi/EFI/boot/boot64x.efi I gave you a link to documentation for the exact thing you needed to do. Rescue mode even gives you an explicit option to "Force GRUB installation to the EFI removable media path". Please go and do that *now*! If you don't reconfigure grub appropriately here, then on future upgrades the grub packages will not know to update the copy in the removable media path. This may leave you with an unbootable system at some point as grub changes happen. I've also updated the wiki doc to make this more explicit. -- Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com < liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"