Re: fbx64.efi hangs after Debian 10.10 shim update

Do you mind if I reply only to the list ?

Le 21/06/2021 à 19:44, Steve McIntyre a écrit :

On Sun, Jun 20, 2021 at 07:44:58PM +0200, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

I have Debian 10 amd64 installed on an old HP EliteBook 2570p. The UEFI
firmware seems to ignore the EFI boot entries and only be able to boot from
the removable device path EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI by default. After each boot a
new "debian" EFI boot entry was added, so I removed
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi to avoid this. So far so good.

OK.

After the latest shim update which ran grub-install and installed the new
/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi, UEFI boot hangs with no error message, only the
HP logo, and GRUB does not show up.

Using "Boot from EFI file" in the firmware boot menu, it appears that :
- grubx64.efi (from either EFI\debian or EFI\BOOT) works
- shimx64.efi (from EFI\debian) works
- BOOTX64.efi (from EFI\BOOT) hangs
- fbx64.efi (from either EFI\debian or EFI\BOOT) hangs

So as a workaround, I removed /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/fbx64.efi again.

OK. That's surprising, any I imagine annoying for you. :-/

Not really, as I would have removed fbx64.efi anyway to avoid creating multiple debian entries. I am actually expecting trouble with this EFI setup, it serves as a kind of sentinel. If I wanted no trouble, I would remove the shim and grub signed stuff as I do not use secure boot, or even disable EFI boot and enable only the BIOS boot. But that would be boring.

If you're prepared to help with testing the problem here (please!),
could you please:

1. run "mokutil --set-verbosity true" from the Linux command line (as
    root)
2. put the fbx64.efi file in place again (grub-install should do that)
3. reboot and try to capture any output

Done.
First screen with blue frame saying "Secure boot not enabled - OK"
After a long list of scrolled "mok.c:" lines ending with "returning Success", the last lines before it stops are (partial, copied by hand) :

shim.c:1727:shim_init() UEFI SHIM
$Version: 15.4 $
$BuildMachine: buildhost $
$Commit: XXXX $
shim.c:898:load_image() attempting to load \EFI\Boot\fbx64.efi
pe.c:574:generate_hash() sha1 authenticode hash:
pe.c:575:generate_hash() (2 lines of XX and hex codes)
pe.c:576:generate_hash() sha256 authenticode hash:
pe.c:577:generate_hash() (2 more lines of hex codes)
pe.c:1057:handle_image() sbat section base:0xB9DED000 size:0xC6

As you've already seen, the firmware on your machine seems buggy and
it looks like we might have found more edges in the new version of
shim. :-/

So far, all UEFI firmwares I have seen were buggy in some way.
If you mean this one seems more buggy than average, yes, I guess so.