Re: EFI boot Debian 10.x i386

Hi Kristian!

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 04:16:08PM +0200, Kristian Trönnberg wrote:

>I have made a bootable USB with Debian 10.9.0-i386-DVD-1.iso but it
>will not boot on a HP 400 G7 but works fine with a USB with Debian
>10.9-amd64...
>
>I have tried also Debian 10.3 i386 with no success. Is it 64-bit
>issue? Is it something wrong with the BIOS in the HP? Do you know any
>new PC that can EFI boot a Debian 10.x i386 installation?

The vast majority of machines with EFI will only boot in 32-bit *or*
64-bit. This is a designed-in firmware limitation - it will only look
for and run the boot files that match the firmware.

There have been some machines produced that had a 64-bit CPU but only
a 32-bit UEFI firmware build (e.g. based on the Intel Bay Trail), but
then they wouldn't load 64-bit boot files (shim/grub etc.).

Hope that helps!

The two hard things in computing:
 * naming things
 * cache invalidation
 * off-by-one errors                  -- Stig Sandbeck Mathisen