Re: Installing grub via triggers instead of duplicating code in shim signed and friends

Hey Julian,

[ a *long* time later... ]

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 05:47:45PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:

>I was wondering if it would make sense to invoke grub-install
>via (await) triggers from shim-signed and friends, rather than
>calling grub-install in the postinst.
>
>In Ubuntu, we have patched grub to install to multiple ESPs,
>by means of a script which does the whole debconf dance similar
>to the logic for installing to MBRs, which exists mostly only
>because we need to be able to access this logic from shim and
>friends (not sure which packages entirely).
>
>This also caused a few problems, as apparently the debconf
>template needs to be in each package that calls that helper
>script now, otherwise debconf can't find it (sometimes).
>
>While thinking about this it occured to me that instead
>of a script and invoking that explicitly, it would be much
>nicer to just trigger the grub package - although I'm not
>exactly sure _which_ grub package yet.
>
>What do you guys think?

I think it would make sense, yes. I'm just tweaking various of the
maint scripts in the shim packages now, and there's a lot of overlap
here. Unfortunately, the grub postinst is also a huge ball of mud and
I'm not sure of exactly the right way to play with it right
now. Definitely too big a change to make just before the Bullseye
release!

I'm almost thinking it's *maybe* worth thinking about separating out
the grub*efi maintscripts from the non-efi versions. There's a lot of
common stuff, but also a lot that just isn't needed. Hmmm.

Ugh, while I've been looking I've also just found a bug - IMHO #932966
just have been closed, not by taking a patch there. About to open a
new bug...

  Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
  must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the
  far end, and the goat, terminated over the SCSI chain with a silver-handled
  knife whilst burning *black* candles. --- Anthony DeBoer