Re: Redundancy for EFI System Partition: what do people do in 2020?

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 05:44:30PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> [ Adding CC to the debian-efi list too... ]
>
> Hey Andy!
>
> Andy Smith wrote:
> >
> >More of my adventures in EFI land.
> >
> >Machines that boot by EFI need an EFI System Partition. I'm used
> >to using software RAID everywhere and providing redundancy for
> >everything. It seems that the designers of EFI didn't think about
> >that one.
> >
> >    https://www.tinkerfairy.net/efi-raid.txt
> >    https://www.claudiokuenzler.com/blog/696/uefi-efi-boot-does-not-like-software-raid-system-partition-grub-error-17
> >
> >https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/265368/why-is-uefi-firmware-unable-to-access-a-software-raid-1-boot-efi-partition
> >
> >So, those of you who boot by EFI and use software RAID, how do you
> >choose to provide redundancy for your ESP any why did you make that
> >choice?

In Ubuntu, we added support to grub for installing to multiple ESP,
using a wrapper around grub-install that does the same debconf stuff
as we do for grub-pc; called grub-multi-install.

We have not yet had time to forward this, and I'm not sure if the
solution is acceptable for Debian, but it's certainly my hope that
we can reduce this and the rest of the delta we have downstream.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en