Correct transition path for moving EFI application

Hi All,

We’re right about to merge something in upstream fwupd that takes all of fwupdate and puts it into the fwupd package.

Fwupd will directly manage installation of the EFI application to the ESP (including detection of the ESP location at runtime).

In order to accomplish this I think it’s important that fwupdate is no longer installed with fwupd.  I wanted to ask for some

advice however on what the proper packaging transition path is.

Currently fwupdate has

/usr/lib/fwupdate/fwupx64.efi

This is installed to the ESP with a postinst script.

Fwupd has:

/usr/lib/fwupd/efi/fwupdx64.efi

This is installed at runtime when a capsule update is installed.

The file on the ESP is compared and if different the one in /usr/lib/fwupd/efi/fwupx64.efi will be installed.

So the files don’t strictly conflict, but I think it would be better for fwupdate to be removed for transition purpose to avoid

confusion of which package is installed to the ESP (especially since fwupdate is “currently” recommends for fwupd [that will be dropped]).

Reviewing

https://wiki.debian.org/PackageTransition

It seems that this should be case #11, right?

Breaks: fwupdate (<< 11)

Replaces: fwupdate (<< 11)

Provides: fwupdate

I tried to do this, but I encounter something along the lines of:

dpkg: regarding fwupd*deb containing fwupd:

fwupd breaks fwupdate (<< 11)

  fwupdate (version 10-3) is present and installed

dpkg: error processing archive fwupd*deb (--install):

  installing fwupd would break fwupdate, and

deconfiguration is not permitted (--auto-deconfigure might help)

Errors were encountered when processing:

fwupd*.deb

So can someone please advise what the proper transition path should be?

Thanks,